Friday, March 30, 2012

Please help me SQL 2005 and Access Databases

I have a restaurant POS application that is written in VB 6 and the data is being written to a access database. I need to access this database over the internet. I need to get certain tables (current sales) in this database to automatically send the updated data to a Web Server. My questions are: What is the best way to do this? Do I need to have sql express loaded on site and let it do the interactions with the Access server and then connect to SQL express over the internet? I am new to this and not sure of the best way to design it. Do I use Report services or analysis services to design?

Thanks

What about using a WebService which exposes the data grabbing functionality. The WebService can be additionally secured via various methods. I would not use SQL Server as a gateway to get the data in that case.

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.


http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||

Thank you. I will look into this. I don't really understand the background process to get the data but will learn.

Bob

|||

Web Service is the only way to go if you're going to use SQL Express. You can not connect directly to SQL Express through the internet as it does not support HTTP Endpoints.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment