Monday, March 26, 2012

Please help -- So stuck now -- Cant connect to sql from external source

Hi all,

I am having real problems allowing a client to connect to sql 2000
through enterprise manager.. I have tried all sorts but to no avail:

From our local network all works fine.. Using the adsl line.. Even if
i try and connect to the external IP and use login details..(As
opposed to connecting local and using windows accounts) I can ping and
telnet the server and port.

The server is behind a firewall so i opened up port 1433 and port
1434(? is it needed).. To replicate the client i took the same laptop
home that i use to connect in the office.. However using the exact
same config on my dial up at home i can ping the server but cannot
telnet onto port 1433.. I think that this is the vital missing step
but do not know hpw to resolve it..

Any ideas anyone

Cheers
Antanthonykallay@.hotmail.com (Anthony) wrote in message news:<77112a1e.0309040245.6d426db9@.posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
> I am having real problems allowing a client to connect to sql 2000
> through enterprise manager.. I have tried all sorts but to no avail:
> From our local network all works fine.. Using the adsl line.. Even if
> i try and connect to the external IP and use login details..(As
> opposed to connecting local and using windows accounts) I can ping and
> telnet the server and port.
> The server is behind a firewall so i opened up port 1433 and port
> 1434(? is it needed).. To replicate the client i took the same laptop
> home that i use to connect in the office.. However using the exact
> same config on my dial up at home i can ping the server but cannot
> telnet onto port 1433.. I think that this is the vital missing step
> but do not know hpw to resolve it..
> Any ideas anyone
> Cheers
> Ant

This KB article explains what firewall configuration is required:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;287932

Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment