Monday, March 26, 2012

Please help - SQL Server Services are missing

I am running SQL 2K on Windows 2000. Apparently for no reason when I
attempted restarting Win 2K I got the error
\Winnt\System32\Config\System is missing or corrupt.
I tried repairing did not work and I did not have a emergency repair
backup disk I used Win2K got in on Console mode and restore
C:\winnt\repair\system to \winnt\System32\config\system
Now I can boot into my Win2K Server all software works except that my
SQL Server services have all gone missing in Services.
When I use service manager I get the following message "The specified
service does not exist as an service". When I attempt to start SQL
Server I get the following error:
An error 1060-(The specified service does not exist as an installed
service) occurred while performing this service operation on the
MSSQLServer service.
Please advice how I can recreate or regenerate all the SQL Server and
Analysis Services services.
Thanks
Simon
Hello Simon
Sounds like there was some type of catastrophic error at OS/hardware level.
This most likely resulted in some of the registry being corrupted hence
affecting SQL Server. If registry has corrupted in this manner, chances are
that some/all other applications on that machine may be affected also.
I would advise you to get the System Eventlog from the machine and try to
diagnose what happened. If the issue has been diagnosed and fixed already,
then go ahead and reinstall the OS and all other applications. If you have
a backup of the entire machine (including registry) then it may save you
time just by restoring the backup.
Thank you for using Microsoft newsgroups.
Sincerely
Pankaj Agarwal
Microsoft Corporation
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment